It appears that the selection of Paul Ryan as VP has helped Mitt Romney in the polls.
A couple days after the Ryan pick on August 11th, the Real Clear Politics average of polls showed a 4.7% lead for President Barack Obama. The RCP political barometer is now down to 1.5%.
More importantly, post-Ryan selection polls from Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, and Florida show the Romney-Ryan ticket leading. While there are post-Ryan polls from those states also showing Obama leading, the fact there are any polls showing Romney ahead in those swing states is significant.
Further, some pre-Ryan polls out of Colorado and Iowa a couple weeks ago showed Romney leading in those states, a change from previous polls in those states.
The traditional post-convention bounce should put Romney ahead nationally and in several swing states. The Republican National Convention starts next week. Of course, convention bounces are almost always temporary.
While my tea party and libertarian friends have pointed out some ill-advised Ryan votes, I'm thrilled to have someone on the ticket who is not only a conservative but someone with the courage to tell the American public the truth about the need to reform entitlements. I am just not convinced the American voters are ready to hear the truth and won't instead punish the messenger, i.e. the Romney-Ryan ticket. Upon learning the news of the Ryan selection, I immediately thought of the famous line Jack Nicholson's character delivered in A Few Good Men:
You seem to forget that Nicholson's character was a failure and oathbreaker.
Varan, I was focused on what he said, not the character he was playing. I'm not sure at all the public "can handle the truth" when it comes to staight talk about entitlements.
I get that.
My point is that you had to find a non-heroic character for your quotation.
No Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, no Meet John Doe, no Knute Rockne, All American.
Get it? ;)
They sure do have America duped into believing the fake fight between Red and Blue teams makes a difference.
The following are 40 ways that Barack Obama and Mitt Romney are essentially the same candidate....
1. Barack Obama and Mitt Romney both supported TARP.
2. Mitt Romney supported Barack Obama's "economic stimulus" packages.
3. Mitt Romney says that Barack Obama's bailout of the auto industry was actually his idea.
4. Neither candidate supports immediately balancing the federal budget.
5. They both believe in big government and they both have a track record of being big spenders while in office.
6. Barack Obama and Mitt Romney both fully support the Federal Reserve.
7. Barack Obama and Mitt Romney are both on record as saying that the president should not question the "independence" of the Federal Reserve.
8. Barack Obama and Mitt Romney have both said that Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke did a good job during the last financial crisis.
9. Barack Obama and Mitt Romney both felt that Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke deserved to be renominated to a second term.
10. Both candidates oppose a full audit of the Federal Reserve.
11. Both candidates are on record as saying that U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner has done a good job.
12. Barack Obama and Mitt Romney have both been big promoters of universal health care.
13. Mitt Romney was the one who developed the plan that Obamacare was later based upon.
14. Wall Street absolutely showers both candidates with campaign contributions.
15. Neither candidate wants to eliminate the income tax or the IRS.
16. Both candidates want to keep personal income tax rates at the exact same levels for the vast majority of Americans.
17. Both candidates are "open" to the idea of imposing a Value Added Tax on the American people.
18. Barack Obama and Mitt Romney both believe that the TSA is doing a great job.
19. Barack Obama and Mitt Romney both supported the NDAA.
20. Barack Obama and Mitt Romney both supported the renewal of the Patriot Act.
21. Barack Obama and Mitt Romney both believe that the federal government should be able to indefinitely detain American citizens that are considered to be terrorists.
22. Both candidates believe that American citizens suspected of being terrorists can be killed by the president without a trial.
23. Barack Obama has not closed Guantanamo Bay like he promised to do, and Mitt Romney actually wants to double the number of prisoners held there.
24. Both candidates support the practice of "extraordinary rendition".
25. They both support the job-killing "free trade" agenda of the global elite.
26. They both accuse each other of shipping jobs out of the country and both of them are right.
27. Both candidates are extremely soft on illegal immigration.
28. Neither candidate has any military experience. This is the first time that this has happened in a U.S. election since 1944.
29. Both candidates earned a degree from Harvard University.
30. They both believe in the theory of man-made global warming.
31. Mitt Romney has said that he will support a "cap and trade" carbon tax scheme (like the one Barack Obama wants) as long as the entire globe goes along with it.
32. Both candidates have a very long record of supporting strict gun control measures.
33. Both candidates have been pro-abortion most of their careers. Mitt Romney's "conversion" to the pro-life cause has been questioned by many. In fact, Mitt Romney has made millions on Bain Capital's investment in a company called "Stericycle" that incinerates aborted babies collected from family planning clinics.
34. Barack Obama and Mitt Romney both believe that the Boy Scout ban on openly gay troop leaders is wrong.
35. They both believe that a "two state solution" will bring lasting peace between the Palestinians and Israel.
36. Both candidates have a history of nominating extremely liberal judges.
37. Like Barack Obama, Mitt Romney also plans to add " signing statements" to bills when he signs them into law.
38. They both have a horrible record when it comes to job creation.
39. Both candidates believe that the president has the power to take the country to war without getting the approval of the U.S. Congress.
40. Both candidates plan to continue running up more government debt even though the U.S. government is already 16 trillion dollars in debt.
In other words, they both suck! Oh, and anyone else that was seriously considered sucked too. Only Ron Paul and a few unknown independents are worth more than a warm bucket of spit.
Frankly, suck is too weak a word - they are really evil, evil people. And Ryan's prescriptions are laughable. It's all pretense. And the fact that he wants to continue and enhance the mindless killing of the last 20 years is beyond the pale.
There is no choice this year just as there was no choice in previous years - tweedle dee and tweedle dum
Exactly Citizen Kane,
Both candidates = More government control, more war, more covering for corrupt bankers, more tyranny, and less freedom for Americans.
And Ryan? The guy who channels Ayn Rand and thinks he should impose his views of abortion on American women?
He ain't no asset, Paul. He's an albatross!
How can the party that believes in less government condone such intrusion into people's personal lives?
Post a Comment