- Arizona: Poll released this morning has Trump running seven points behind in Arizona, a state with 11 electoral votes. Trump won the state by 3.5 points in 2016. However, Trump has not led a single poll in the state during 2020 and the Real Clear Politics average of polls (RCP-AOP) has Biden up 4 points in a head-to-head match-up. Since it is unlikely that Michigan and Pennsylvania will be in play this time around (Trump has never led a poll against Biden in those states), it is increasingly difficult to see where he makes up electoral ground.
- Purple Sates: States like Virginia and Colorado would seem to be ideal targets for Trump to
Colorado: Home of the Worst State Logo
- Minnesota: Will someone please poll Trump v. Biden in Minnesota? Hillary Clinton won the state by 1.5% in 2016. Given the state's demographics (rural and white), it seems a good option for Trump to make up ground.
- Trump's War on Whistleblowers: I have always been confused by what Trump meant by his claim that he is"draining the swamp." I always assumed the phrase was used as it has always been used (no, Trump didn't invent the term), to mean a public official pledging to rid the government of corruption. Apparently, for Trump "draining the swamp" means ridding government of whistleblowers and ending congressional oversight so corruption can run wild in the executive branch.
- Governor Holcomb Power Grab Fails: Yesterday, the Indiana Supreme Court rejected Indiana Governor Holcomb's attempt to intervene in the disciplinary case of Attorney General Curtis Hill. The Court had found Hill's conduct allegedly groping several women at a party violated disciplinary rules and gave him a 30 day suspension with automatic reinstatement. Holcomb wanted the Court to go further, declaring that the 30 day suspension meant the AG's office was vacant and he could appoint a replacement. But Holcomb didn't want to just replace Hill for the 30 day suspension. He wanted to replace Hill for the several months left in his term. The Indiana Supreme Court was not amused and chose to ignore Holcomb's attempt to intervene.
Tuesday, May 19, 2020
Tuesday's Tidbits: Arizona, Purple States, Minnesota; War on Whistleblowers; Governor Holcomb's Power Grab
Tuesday political tidbits: