|Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard|
- Cap towing fees for passenger vehicles at $150.
- Cap storage fees at $30 per day
- Require detailed receipts listing all charges
- Prohibit payments from tow operators to property owners/lot managers per vehicle towed
- Signs listing lot hours and vehicle redemption information must be approved by the City
- Vehicles must be towed directly to secure storage lot inside Marion County, unless within 10 miles of pick up
- Motorists must be able to claim their vehicle 24 hours per day, seven days a week
- Towing operators and their storage lots must accept cash or credit cards
|Council President |
For some time, I've criticized Mayor Ballard and Councilor Vaughn for putting the wishes of establishment insiders ahead of what is best for the people. I wanted them to take a more populist approach to their positions, proposing measures that put the people first ahead of those special interests. In a county that's only 45% Republican, that was the only way the Mayor could have been re-elected. Now 3 1/2 years into the Mayor's term, he appears to finally have gotten the message. While it is too little and too late to save his re-election, both the Mayor and Councilor Vaughn deserve credit for doing the right thing.